Re: [oletrucks] Welding

To: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Welding
From: "WR Teto" <monadnoc@crystal-mtn.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 21:12:57 -0500
Deve, I don't have a cutting torch myself.  Of course with the shop being so
handy, I can cut
anything there either with the torch, shear, or plasma cutter.  But for my own
garage use, I use a
combination of Sawzall, jig saw with metal blade, and a grinder with a cut-off
wheel.  Not the most
high tech solutions, and I'd like one of the nifty home plasma cutters, but I
can't justify the
600-800 bucks.  For thin metals mostly 1/8" or less, a regular gas torch would
suffice, plus it is
indefinitely handy for cutting off frozen bolts and rivets etc.  One of these
days I have to bite
the bullet and buy one.  I'd also be interested in other folks experiences with
various torches.

Those Lincoln welders you mentioned should work fine, and the 220 volt is ideal
if your shop is so
equipped (mine isn't and I'm using the Miller XP-130 110 volt model).  You will
also want an
assortment of vise-grip clamps, the large jaw model that are made for welding.
Get the ones with
the flat articulating faces and they are great for clamping panels together.  A
few heavy duty
magnets come in handy as well to support panels.  Grab a piece of flat copper
bar, about 1/8" thick,
about 2x6" in size.  Use it to put behind joints with not-so-great fit up and
it'll help keep from
blowing holes in thin metal (the weld won't stick to the copper).  You will get
into the habit of
collecting all sorts of sizes and thicknesses of scrap metal from 18 gauge
(.045") up to
1/8"...can't have too much of this stuff!!

Best thing I ever got (gift from my fantastic and understanding wife) was an
auto darkening welding
helmet.  It was over $200 versus $25 for a regular helmet, but when you are
constantly tacking
little spot welds, the convenience of not having to flip the helmet up and down
incessantly is an
unbelieveable bonus.  I don't know what I did before I had this.  Next time
you're laying on your
back under the truck, trying to weld something and also trying to flip down the
lid, with the
accompanying "blue phrases", you'll see what I mean!  Also make sure you have
good protective
clothing.

Welding with bare arms, swimming trunks, and sandals...yep, I've done all
three, at the same time
:-(    is no picnic.  Getting a hot spark down your sock (or other interesting
:location) usually
results in the newest dance craze since the lambada.  Not fun.  I wear
coveralls and high top boots.
You can spend $$$ for good welding gloves, but for 110 volt machines and
welding at 50 amps or so, I
get by with regular heavy duty work gloves.  They provide a bit more dexterity
and I only curse once
in a while.

I'm sure the minute I send this mail, I'll think of a dozen more ideas, but
that'll get you started.
The welding machine will soon become your favorite and most useful tool.  You
might even make some
$$$ welding stuff up for friends (or at least be able to barter parts or
service).

Wally