Re: [oletrucks] Welding

To: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Welding
From: "Charles Culver" <sculver@iwl.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 06:38:43 -0800
<An hour is like spending a
Summer day at the beach if you don't button up>

Grant-

That's some great advice on protecting yourself when welding.  I had 2
experiences earlier in life.  Back in high school, the ag teacher was giving
us some arc welding instructions, and when it was my turn to weld, some
burning slag dripped into my shoe.  The dance I did, and the accompanying
profanities had the class, including the teacher, rolling in the floor.  I
didn't find it all that funny.

Then when I was a newly hired welder helper out on the railroad back in
1970, I spent an entire day watching the arc while the welder worked on some
track.  I wasn't even wearing sunglasses.  Later that night I was blind, and
couldn't open my eyes at all for a couple of days.  Luckily it wasn't
permanent.  Thirty years later, I can't even watch someone welding on
television.  We live and learn.

They make protective gear for welding.  I recommend using it!

Smokey Culver
'50 3600 5-window (mine) & '56 3600 (hers)