Re: [oletrucks] Welding

To: "Ole Trucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Welding
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 20:49:28 -0800
Deve, just to follow up on what Wally says,

1.    A cutting torch and gas welding set is a great thing to have.  What a
blast to cut through thick chunks of steel like butter!  With a little
practice, you can get real fine control. (I need lots of practice.)

I got the little 2 foot high tanks with some doubts, but I've grown to love
them.  You can get a surprising amount of time out of them.  You can't use a
big rosebud tip on them, but you won't throw your back out lifting them into
the truck.

2.    I don't have an auto darkening helmet, but I do have a full face shade
in mine.  I have found that the little eyes only shades are really annoying.
I guess the best thing would be a full face auto darkening shade in your
helmet.

3.    Wally's right about needing to cover up when you mig or arc weld,
including a way to button up to cover your chest and neck.  You'll be amazed
at the sunburn you get from electric welding.  An hour is like spending a
Summer day at the beach if you don't button up.

Regards,

Grant S.