Re: Air Compressor

To: TR4guyinVA@aol.com
Subject: Re: Air Compressor
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 10:35:44 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 3 Mar 1997 TR4guyinVA@aol.com wrote:

> Aww man . .you guys are really raining on my parade.

> I wanna get a little bead blasting cabinet or a little sandblaster pail or
> one of those spot blasters, ,  and now everyone is chiming in telling me I
> can't do it despite the CFM rating of the unitl.

> blasting like bodywork or anything . . just little things.  The biggest thing
> I can think of would be some exhaust headers . . .
>
> so what if  I have to stop and wait periodically.  I would probably only be
> using it very infrequently anyway . . . (except for when I first get it . .
> then I'd be like a kid with a new toy)
>
> Somebody please tell me that despite my compressor's over inflated big 5 HP
> rating, that such a compressor with a 30 gallon tank can work with such items

If it makes you feel any better, I sandblasted a high percentage of the
surface of my bugeye with a good pressure sandblaster powered by a Sears
2 HP compressor.  Now those are old horsepower, created back in the days
when a hp was a hp.  But still...

By the way, my "2 HP" Sears is rated at 7.5 cfm at 90 psi.  The single
stage 6 hp units I have looked at are rated at about 10 cfm at 90.

Siphon type sandblasters such as are used in bead blast cabinets are
slower than the pressure blaster, but I think you can do what you want.  I
intend to get a bead cabinet and use the 2 hp on it.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910