Re: Welder choice

To: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>, "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@Exit109.com>, "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Welder choice
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 07:20:45 -0500
> If you are a self-taught, or "body shop" trained welder; do yourself a
favor
> and take some classes from your local vocational-technical school.  A MIG
> welder is not a glue gun, although most novices seem to use it like one.
> Such a course will be well worth the cost and will allow you to
> practice/make mistakes/learn correctly for a whole lot less than you'd
spend
> by rushing out and buying a cheapie, imported welder and practicing on
your
> poor Spridget.

Strangely enough, that is just what I thought. I went out to the local high
schools and looked for vo-tech schools. They have gone to teaching computer
classes instead. I asked you guys and others, and I kept hearing "Buy the
welder, practise on scrap metal, teach yourself". I live in the northwest
suburbs of Chicago, you would think there would be lots of stuff, but I have
not been able to find anything that a guy working 9 to 5 can attend. Easy
advice to give, hard advice to use.
David Lieb