Re: Electric fan attachment

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net, jparent@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Electric fan attachment
From: FRANK_BONIFAZI@HP-FtCollins-om4.om.hp.com
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 12:34:00 -0600

Mike,

Thanks for the advise.  The clips that came with my e-fan are not the same
design.  I can only hope they're better.

I put the e-fan on last weekend and then drove 80 mi. to a CATO event outside of
Denver.  Bad move.  I was running a bit hot 210 all the way down the high way
(90 deg day and mostly sunny and of course a mile up!), but no real problem.
Started over heating a few minutes after getting off the highway and into start
and stop city traffic...230...240...then boil-over.  I never saw the temp gauge
needle move so fast before. My wife commented that we could froth milk for
cappuccinos with our new car.

Luckily I stopped in front of some really nice peoples' home (raining hard now)
and they offered beer, mixed drinks etc.(really).  I settled for a root-beer,
water from their hose (for radiator), and a phone call to a CATO member to help
me figure out how to get to the event - yes I was lost.  Bill Pass and Ken
Corbet from the CATO club even came out in case I needed a tow!  Wow, these
Tiger folks are just the best.  I feel like I've been adopted into a secret
society of sorts.

The Tiger was fine after a half hour of cool down and 1/2 gallon of water. Ran
around 210 all the way back home in 75-80 degree weather.  Seems that this car
runs a steady temp regardless of ambient temperature (at least within a limited
temp range and on he highway).

I got lots of expert advise at the event (thanks guys).  Replace the five blade
(stainless steel fan) with the Ford 6-blade std. steel blades (must be trimmed
and hole enlarged).  Put a 4-core radiator in, or have mine re-cored (any
personal experiences out there).  Take all the HI-PO stuff off the engine
(headers, cam, 4-barrel etc.)...ouch!  Block the holes around the horns (done -
no noticeable effect).

Bottom line is that I think my efforts are not moving me forward on this problem
(maybe backwards).  I would have thought that the e-fan would have helped in the
slow driving if at all.  Could it be reducing the air flow at speed since the
air intake at 50mph is probably greater than what the e-fan is delivering (and
blocking).

Well, for now the Tiger is relegated to short trips around town during evenings
only; but I'm still convinced it can be turned into a reliable cruiser.

Frank Bonifazi

B9472682LRXFE

Author:  Non-HP-jparent (jparent@yahoo.com) at hp-ftcollins,mimegw2
Date:    8/11/98 10:16 PM

Mike,Frank,

The other thing you can do is push the keeper in from the front so
that if they work loose just the little square tab will get nailed by
a mechanical blade.

Regards,

Jim
B9470139

---Mike Sutter <mjsutter@cts.com> wrote:

> Frank Bonifazi wrote:
>
> "You'll also need to remove the fan blade shroud and some little
things
>      to thread the plastic attachments through the radiator itself.
I'll