Re: Electric fan attachment

To: FRANK_BONIFAZI@HP-FtCollins-om4.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: Electric fan attachment
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 14:28:16 -0700

FRANK_BONIFAZI@HP-FtCollins-om4.om.hp.com wrote:

>      Mike,
>
>      WOW!  I think you may have hit the jackpot.
>
>      One of the previous owners had the cylinders over-bored by 0.030.  I
>      only thought about the minimal displacement increase (< than 289).  I
>      don't know much about the differences between a 260 and a 289. Aren't
>      they the same block?
>
>      I know the 260 claimed to use "thin-walled" casting technology. Have
>      any of you had a 260 bored?
>
>      This thing is getting real interesting for sure.
>
>      I called a local radiator service company yesterday and they quoted
>      $185-$225 for a copper 4-core modification to my radiator.  Does this
>      sound about right?  They'll also add a drain plug which I sorely miss
>      everytime I do anything with the radiator.
>
>      Thanks,
>
>      Frank Bonifazi B9472682LRXFE

Frank,

Your questions:

1)  260 vs 289 block.  Yes, they are the same generic type "block", but the
cores
for the water passages are very different.  While both are "thin-wall", the wall
between the bore and the water is about the same thickness, but the bore is 0.2"
less on the 260.  So, a 0.030 overbore gets the piston to about the same
distance
from the water in either case.  There is NO extra thick wall on the 260's that
allow it to be bored to 4.00" (0.200 overbore).  Anything else said is just
plain
dumb luck about the centering of the casting molds.

2) An 0.030 overbore is not a bad thing.  Many rebuilders got to 0.060 (and that
is NOT a good thing).

3) You will be very unhappy with a 4 row in that price range.  A good Modine,
with
the high fin count and densly packed tubes should cost about $300, and is well
worth it.  Saving money here is wasted.  Only other option worth considering is
2 row aluminum radiator, which is more expensive, thicker, and requires custom
shrouds and does not look stock, but works very well.  The 4 row Modine fits
your
stock tanks.

 See my previous "cooling" postings on all the things you can do (with an engine
that has no sefere illnesses).  If you don;t have one, right back and I'll send
you a copy.

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >