Re: [Tigers] "POS" carb

To: "Would U. Believe" <mcdangerous@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] "POS" carb
From: Steve Laifman <slaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 14:44:14 -0700
McDangerous,

I am afraid we are talking at cross-purposes here.  The Holley has two
"vacuum ports"

One is a small and about 1/4 inch OD that is connected directly to the
distributer cannister top front distributer advance vacuum port.

The other is about 1/2 inch OD and connects directly from the valve
cover right rear end (going through the inserted PCV valve.  This is the
port that the 465 4 BBl Holley's  did not have.  My original Holley carb
has a heat pipe from the heat riser on the exhaust manifold to the choke
thermostat coil.

While the original Holley bottom plate has no breather tube, the
manifold had a threaded hole and elbow (for the Tiger Version) to vent
the valve cover PCV to the intake manifold port (that was a blank
casting for Non-Tiger applications.)

You can view this installation under the TigersUnited.com "LAT & Dealer
Options" / LAT-1 Super Induction Kit/" (original Price was $66 dealer
cost, $140 List Price (includes carb).

http://tigersunited.com/resources/parts_service/pp-lat1.asp  and the
original "Installation Instruction data:

http://tigersunited.com/resources/parts_service/pp-lat1install.asp

This page must be "zoomed in" to read the instructions.  If you have a
Mac, the key press is "CMD +".  The PC command set is not known.

I am enclosing the picture as a ".bmp", but only you will get enclosures
(disallowed by our autox.team.net for keeping file sizes low)

Yes, I know this is grainy, and the yellowing pages and cracked edges
speak to that. BUT, "original is original"

Bottom line, there is a vacuum distributor tube on the upper right side
of the carburettor, there is NO place to put the PCV vent hole except
through the
LAT modifications to the basic F4B manifold.  There would be no need for
a spacer to allow connection (IF you have the original LAT, and not the
normal Edelbrock carb.

I hope this puts that issue to bed.  If you do NOT have the original
LAT, a little port drill/thread is required.

OR, that contemporaneous Holley Carb base can be used.  I have the
original LAT, but the hose routing was plain "ugly" .  Also remember
that the PCV valve must be installed.

Steve

Steve Laifman

Editor

http://TigersUnited.com

Would U. Believe wrote:
> Oh, I think the vacuum port in the phenolic spacer under the carb goes
> to the PCV valve on the right valve cover...
>

> On 7/18/10 2:47 PM, "Steve Laifman" <slaifman@socal.rr.com> wrote:
>
>     Thanks for your post, Mc Dangerous (M), and Allan,
>
>     I remembered that I, too, had some fiddling to do with the
>     F4B/Holley installation.  There was no tube on the carburettor  to
>     a  attach to the distributer vacuum advance port.  The available
>     gaskets, with such a port, would stick the air filter through the
>      LAT hood.
>
>     This  wouldn't influence those that replaced the distributor with
>     one that does not have vacuum advance.  I wanted it "stock" but
>     put the "Ignitor" kit in and had the advance curve tuned to the
>     car with spring replacement.
>
>     So, I took the easiest approach possible. I replaced the
>     carburettor butterfly lower unit with a new replacement part that
>     did have a vacuum port.
>
>     No hood banging, and easy adaption.  The thinnest composite
>     gaskets with a vacuum port I could find were still too thick.
>
>     While then, a carb parts source would still have new pieces.  Now,
>     they probably have used pieces. Watch the shaft wear on used units.
>
>     Steve

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had
a name of exv3vh1a.bmp]