Re: [Tigers] "POS" carb

To: "Would U. Believe" <mcdangerous@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] "POS" carb
From: Steve Laifman <slaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 11:47:13 -0700
Thanks for your post, Mc Dangerous (M), and Allan,

I remembered that I, too, had some fiddling to do with the F4B/Holley
installation. There was no tube on the carburettor to a attach to the
distributer vacuum advance port. The available gaskets, with such a
port, would stick the air filter through the LAT hood.

This wouldn't influence those that replaced the distributor with one
that does not have vacuum advance. I wanted it "stock" but put the
"Ignitor" kit in and had the advance curve tuned to the car with spring
replacement.

So, I took the easiest approach possible. I replaced the carburettor
butterfly lower unit with a new replacement part that did have a vacuum
port.

No hood banging, and easy adaption. The thinnest composite gaskets with
a vacuum port I could find were still too thick.

While then, a carb parts source would still have new pieces. Now, they
probably have used pieces. Watch the shaft wear on used units.

Steve

Steve Laifman

Editor

http://TigersUnited.com