Re: [Tigers] "POS" carb

To: "Allan Ballard" <allanballard@att.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] "POS" carb
From: "Rense, Mark (GE Indust, ConsInd)" <mark.rense@ge.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 13:40:54 -0400
Allan,
The "little" Edelbrock is a great choice for a mild 260/289. I have had
a 1403 (electric choke version) on one of my cars for seven years
without issues. I wound up changing the needle and spring combination on
the primaries and one step smaller jets in the secondaries to lean it
out slightly. Your engine may/will have different needs, especially if
you have tubular headers and a lumpy cam. I like them so much I just
bought a 1406 (600 CFM Electric choke) carb for my stroker project.

Buy the tuning calibration kit (part # 1486), it has all you need to get
the mixture dialed in. The stock SU fuel pump is marginal for this size
carb, I could drain the bowls on a hard third/fourth gear pull. I
switched to a Holley Red Head fuel pump and that cured the delivery
issue.

Be sure to carefully check your stack-up height with your new manifold,
some engine mounts are taller than others and with a F4B in place your
air cleaner might be interfering with the hood. Swipe some Playdoh from
the brat next door, put a ball of it onto the air cleaner and carefully
close your hood. You need a minimum of 1/4" clearance, more is better. I
had to go to a flathead screw for my air cleaner to gain enough room.

Have fun, go fast!

Bugz