Re: TR6 U-Joint Failure

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 U-Joint Failure
From: Dale <tpdwinch@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:43:08 -0800 (PST)
Vance

Peter is right here. I purchased my u-joints from Auto Zone. These were Spicer
units and the fit was snug. Need not need to alter the yoke.

Dale

Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net> wrote:
Vance,

I would think twice about honing the holes to accept larger caps. The
replacement U-joints are the problem and you are adjusting a perfectly good
yoke to make it fit a problem part. If you do this, anyone trying to replace
the joints in the future (maybe you again) will have to find replacement
joints with the "oversized" caps.

Just my $0.02.

BTW, I went through this several years back and sent back several sets
before I found the right size. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I found
them. I wish that I had measured the good and bad when I had them.

Peter
'68 TR250