Re: Concours Question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Concours Question
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 16:18:46 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

The responses to this question have been quite thoughtful indeed. But
there is a lingering unanswered component - that is: what exactly is
concours? To me, concours means _as it left the factory_ and for
Triumphs, that would be extended to "imperfections and all". If you change
things, you should loose points. Period.

What many of the governing bodies have done is to build a shell around the
process of restoration and made allowances for "acceptable practice".
While this sounds really neat, it winds up causing a divide between those
that know the drill and those that don't. The posting that referred to the
Jag Club distaste for the finish of the exhaust manifold is almost the
perfect illustration... how would the uninitiated even know that tidbit?
Also, FWIW and regards to Jags, wasn't the exhaust manifold covered with a
ceramic of some type (depending on the year)??

But the net result to this enthusiast is that I loose interest in the
process because just finding the documentation to prove how "it" should be
done is pretty tough and there are many sources out there touted as
reference material that is simply wrong. How do you resolve these things?
Yes, I know that various bodies have defined the judging guidelines, and I
applaud the effort, but the greater body (members and/or the general
public) need to be aware of the efforts so we can "play" on equal ground.
I don't profess that I have the answers and this is a debate to which
there is no immediate solution.

The point "it's my car and that's what I did with is" is true, I totally
agree. And Triumph owners tend to be more than a little iconclastic -
perhaps the Triumph judging rules should take on a more quirky approach to
the topic?

Oh well,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx