Re: Concours Question

To: John Macartney <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Concours Question
From: Jim Jones <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:23:25 -0800 (PST)
John:

  Your pithy remarks from across the pond are amusing and informative, without
exception. I agree that some rust was original on most, if not all TR cast iron
manifolds. I remember my father's '70 Cadillac Fleetwood with the 472 c.i. V8.
What a beast! When it came home new from the dealer I distinctly remember that
I was shocked that an expensive, brand new car would have rust on the motor.
The iron exhaust manifolds to be exact. But as we say in the country, "It
didn't hurt the runnin' of it none!" I would have put up against any Mercedes
of that era.

  It surprises me that any judge would mark off for a bit of rust along the
edge of the manifold. I mean, they deduct points if there's NOT ENOUGH orange
peel in the paint finish fer cryin' out loud, calling the car over-restored. I
guess they want owners to keep their cars in vacuum bubbles, bringing them out
only for shows. Were I the uber-fuerher of old car shows, I would require that
all cars presented for judging to show signs of actually being driven!

  Just couldn't resist venting my spleen about anal judges and show car owners.
If we're gonna be that picky about "original" perfection, let's all buy
Porsche's and be done with it!

  Jim

John Macartney <standardtriumph@btinternet.com> wrote:
  Bill & Skip Pugh wrote:

> Well they are already "rust" ... but the Judges at the Serrano Concours
> said "any visible rust" requires a deduction ...

Which just goes to show that the judges probably haven't got a clue about
original factory finish!!!! All TR's I drove, while still smelling of
upholstery glue and new paint, always had either rusty manifolds or paint
still in the process of burning off them. They were like this in the vehicle
transit parks and long before they even got shipped out of the country or
delivered to UK dealers.

Jonmac