Re: Concours Question

To: anabil007@comcast.net, standardtriumph@btinternet.com,
Subject: Re: Concours Question
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 17:06:24 EST
In a message dated 12/20/2005 2:51:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
anabil007@comcast.net writes:

would  like to  use the  Eastwood  Hi Temp   paint (no Fred  I  am
NOT going  to powder  coat  them)  ... so far I have heard "Gray" and
"Silver"  ...  tis  a  puzzlement  ... not  to worry, plenty   of  time
left  this  Winter  before the new   season  starts ..

Bill,
The Eastwood product I use is "Stainless Steel" High Temp Coating.   Part#
10178Z.  It works great if your manifold is clean.  Best to  have it blasted
but
I have used it on lightly rusted manifolds that I have  just wire brushed. I
just brush it on let it dry overnight and install the  manifold.  It cures
with heat so you need to run the car and it will stink  up the joint for a
moment.  Rust may reappear after a time but you can  touch it up again with the
manifold in place.  Don't buy too much  since it has a self life of 6 months.
It
comes out looking like cast iron and as  I said it is a safe way to go for
show.

Jet Hot Coatings also has a cast iron gray coating that I have used but it
is pricey. You send it out to them and they coat it inside and  out. Pretty
much bullet proof though and lasts a long time.

I have purchased one TR. new, a 81 TR7, It had sat locked up for 12  years
before I got it with 92 miles on the clock.  The manifold was lightly  rusted
and did not appear to have any coating on it at all.  I almost left  it that
way
but I decided to play it safe and coated it with the Eastwood  product. Just
bad form to have that rusty look although a case can certainly be  made that
that is how the cars left the dealerships.

Still interested in any information on the CF TR6's. Where is that  6-Pack
Chief Judge?  Anyone hear from Jim Holewka lately.
Darrell