autox-cm

Re: Proposed Rules Change

To: Sam & Greg Scharnberg <samandgreg@qwest.net>
Subject: Re: Proposed Rules Change
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:13:54 -0400
Sam & Greg Scharnberg wrote:
> The 5 speed cars (MK9, FT200, and Staffs) all have a problem if
> they miss a shift.  First is to the left and back and it is fairly
> easy to hit reverse on the 3-->2 shift.  Assuming you don't damage
> the case, and only need the reverse gears, it can cost over
> $1,000.00 plus labor.

My 914 had the same pattern, and a truly horrible linkage -- you
didn't so much select a gear, you recommended one.  Whenever Josh
drove it, he used to say "start in first, go straight up to second,
go straight down to third."

I'd think you could reduce your risk by altering the linkage,
requiring some sort of additional motion to get into reverse.  Put
a gate in the way, so you have to move a lever or pull a collar
or something.  Or assuming the selector at the back of the gearbox
works similarly to the Mk9, couldn't you modify the R-1 selector
shaft such that it couldn't be pushed in, but could still be pulled
out?

In other words, I'd be more willing to consider an allowance for
"disabling the selection of reverse gear" than one that says
"reverse is not required".

Mark

///
///  autox-cm@autox.team.net mailing list