Re: seats in stock class

To: <MattGent@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: seats in stock class
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 22:14:19 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: <MattGent@aol.com>
To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 1999 9:18 PM
Subject: seats in stock class

> The problem is that my dad doesn't fit in his seat, in proper driving
> position, with his helmet on.  He either has to lean over to the side,
where
> there's a detent for the sunroof, or recline the seat back, which makes
him
> reach his arms out more than ideal.
>
> Now, we're not exactly running at nationals here, but I'd like to be legal
> the letter anyways.  The way I see it, we can swap seats or modify the
stock
> seat.  An aftermarket seat is obvious, and specifically illegal.  I think
> can fabricate some mounts to drop the seat about an inch.

SIIR, Section 13.1:  "If a modification is not specifically authorized in
this or previous sections of these Rules it is not allowed."  Or in short,
no, you cannot modify the seat (by my interpretation).

On the other hand, if you're just competing locally with folks you know,
explain to them you'd like to swap or modify the seat to accomodate your
dad -- I have no doubt you can get a local agreement to remain in Stock even
with such a modification.  Keep the original seat and stuff if you decide to
compete in a wider field later.

Jamie (head wedged firmly against the roof)
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr