Re: seats in stock class

To: <MattGent@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: seats in stock class
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 14:59:39 -0500
It has been ruled on at a past Nationals (a LONG time ago!) that you cannot
put in an aftermarket seat in Stock (the seat in question was a really trick
Recaro in a Porsche 911, that offered rib support, etc., but the driver
claimed it as a stock replacement because it was fully padded), nor modify
the stock seat (can't crush/remove the springs, lower the mounting, etc.).

That said, the point of regional-only use is a good one. Go ahead and do it,
and let everyone know you did it, and why. I occasionally autox my street
Spitfire (not the DP race car) as an H Stock, and it is technically illegal
because of its 13" steering wheel. Stock is 16", which is so big I cannot
get my legs between the wheel and the seat. Rules allow a 1" variance. At
local events, who cares? It becomes my trivia-quiz question: find how I'm
illegal, it is right out in plain sight. Of course, since I am usually a
strong contender for DFL overall in the car.... :-)

But DO keep the stock seat for when you have a mind to go do a Divisional,
Tour or National (or, even just when you want to sell the car!). They can
cut you no slack there as the entire rulebook is mandatory at that level.
All but the safety-related sections (specified in 1.1) are optional at the
local level.

--Rocky Entriken