Re: Conquest to GS to C Mod

To: posborne@minuteman-ups.com, BRUBEL51@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Conquest to GS to C Mod
From: MBD96@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:07:17 EST
In a message dated 11/10/99 7:44:15 AM Central Standard Time,
posborne@minuteman-ups.com writes:

<< Yep, I suggested this last year, along with another car that was dominant
 in G Stock during that era, the Mustang SVO...Hey Bruce, still have your
 SVO? >>

All sold out for the moment ...  And, as I've said a thousand times before,
the Probe GT that I had to buy to stay in GS in 1993 wasn't any slower than
the banished SVO Mustang it replaced.  It just cost about $10,000 more to buy
($5K  used vs. $15K new).  But guys (like you Phil, remember?) whined and
cried to the SEB about how unfair they were in GS.  The cars of old (that all
the whining was about to make them competitive again) never, ever returned to
their (pre Conquest / SVO emergence)
competitiveness in this class.  All we accomplished with this move were a few
more
car sales at the time for Mazda and Ford.  Then when guys like Phil and I
bring up these 2 cars again for a move back to GS and guys like Charlie send
us notes about how 'weird' we are for wanting these 'weirdo' cars back in the
class...

All we prove in many of these classing cases is that some of them are made
more on emotion than on fact.  Notice the 'key' word missing in that last
sentence.  And that 'key' word missing is INTENTIONALLY.  The SCAC and the
SEB do a good job overall with classing when you consider the number of cars
that are classed (yes, I'm biased because I've been there and done both and
it ain't as easy as it looks from the outside - even bowed to emotion and
favored the move of the Conquest and SVO at the time, so flame away or
congratulate me as you please).

My advice to all of you agonizing over stock classifications is to do what I
finally did because I was agonizing too.  Go to a mod class.  In fact, come
join us in C Mod.  I didn't believe it until I actually tried it but you
really can be national trophy capable for a whole lot less money than it
costs to be a back of the pack stock class driver (because I've been there
and done that too).  Cost of car, enclosed box with wheel,and  pickup truck
to tow them is probably less than that dang Integra R dominating GS right
now.  Plus your car isn't obsoleted every year, or threatened continuously
with extinction.

Bruce (I've NEVER autocrossed the same car THIS many years in a row as I've
have now with the Crossle) Dickey