Re: Stock Category brake lines

To: Paul Czarnecki <oblique@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Stock Category brake lines
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 12:19:21 -0600
Paul Czarnecki wrote:
> Why?  This seems wrong at first.
>
> The reason is that stainless steel lines are very subject to
> abrasion.  Road racing teams that use generally consider them to be a
> maintenance item, you replace them once a season or whatever.  The
> street driver, who installed them years ago, has since driven through
> all sorts of road crap etc and never thinks to check/replace them.
> Even the road racers makes this mistake.  There was a big fireball of
> a race car at Lime Rock a few years back.  It had stainless steel
> fuel lines (for safety!) but it abrades along the undercarraige.

What I was thinking of was the flexible lines braided with stainless
steel wrapping.  The short piece at each wheel. I don't see how these
are subject to more abrasion than the rubber ones.  You may be right,
but I think the rule was aimed more at these flexible parts at the
wheels, than for the entire system.

PLW