RE: BMW M3 Questions

To: Digest Auto-x <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: BMW M3 Questions
From: Ron Katona <ron3b@cris.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 17:54:31 -0800
Brad Burns wrote:
> I've lusted for an E36 M3 ever since they came out, and they're getting
> close to where I can afford one.  But I'm still afraid of the cost of
> maintenance and repair on a BMW, the cost of performance parts, and the high
> insurance rates.

Brad, same boat for me, but I took the plunge when I found one with some
minor paint damage well under blue book. Don't let costs keep you away.
Most horror stories come from people who can't do any basic maintenance,
take it to the dealer for everything, or don't become involved with the
BMW CCA to become aware of low cost parts and maintenance sources as
well as how to properly maintain the car in order to avoid the high
ticket items. Yes, a blown motor will kill you; short of that it's not a
money pit.

I'm not saying they're cheap to own, but no more expensive than most
imports from Japan. Engine mods are big $$, but that's a good reason to
stay in AS. At the local level you don't need any mods in this car
anyway. Mine is bone stock and is quite competitive at local MWCSCC and
BMW CCA events. If I went on the national tour, it would need new shocks
and wheels, but for local events it's more than competitive just like it
is. I spent $400 for a used set of R1s to campaign it last year locally.
That was my total outlay other than entry fees. I was able to win my
class a couple of times despite my low-buck approach.
--
Ron Katona