Re: What happened to the Neon?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What happened to the Neon?
From: Derek Engelhaupt <derekengelhaupt@rocketmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 13:12:05 -0800 (PST)

--- Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net> wrote:
> Robert Glover wrote:
>
> > Granted, I'm not a big FWD enthusiast, but I do remember how great
> the
> > original Dodge/Plymouth Neons (particularly the ACR) were as
> autocross cars.
> > Now it appears it only comes as a four-door, and only with the SOHC
> motor.
> > What the heck happened?  Probably no ACR package anymore either.
>
> I noticed this also, and also know that the 2000 Neon is 150#
> *heavier* that
> the earlier versions. Even if they come back with the ACR model with
> the twin
> cam engine, it will not be as fast. Maybe with the Chrysler 2.4
> engine it will
> have a chance...  :-). Naw, they wouldn't, would they?
>
> Even if it comes with 15" rims and other goodly stuff, I just don't
> see it
> beating the early ACR's.

You all will have to pardon me, the word "Neon" sends shivers down my
spine every time I hear someone say that they might be interested in
purchasing one.  I bought one in '95 (a Nitro Yellow/Green Sport Coupe)
new off the lot.  Car handled great, nice acceleration, poor, poor
reliability, and the resale was worse.  Mine was in the shop 38 times
in 40 months.  I didn't even Autocross it either.  It saw one track day
at Summitt Point in WV.  I know there are a lot of Neons out there that
were very reliable, but I still would never even consider buying
another one.  Lemon Law you ask?  Didn't qualify in the state of MD due
to the fact that it was multiple items that the dealer could fix.  By
the time the items qualified for the Lemon Law, the car had too many
miles on it which disqualified it.  Chrysler wouldn't even return my
letters or phone calls about the car.  Great customer service IMHO.
Anyway, no such problems with my Miata....none...

Derek
'97 Miata