Re: What's wrong with this pitcure?!?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What's wrong with this pitcure?!?
From: "Arthur Emerson" <vreihen@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:17:08
Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net> wrote:

>I suggest Mr. Duncan concentrate on his PAID job and
>leave car classification philosophies to the SEB.

...and I suggest that Mr. Foster take reading lessons,
or at least make sure that his brain is in gear before
engaging his fingers on his keyboard.  What part of
Howard's response did you NOT understand???  Allow
me to translate it for you:

In a PRIVATE e-mail message to somebody, Howard Duncan
was credited as saying:

>I have received your letter regarding the eligibility of
>various Porsches in SM and it has been forwarded to the
>SEB for their consideration.

Howard said: "I got your letter, and forwarded it to
the SEB."   No place does this suggest that "King Howard"
is making the decision, or bypassing the SEB in any way.
If you look at the SCCA's internal structure, the SEB
reports directly to the Board of Directors, not Howard.

>However, let me take a moment to address the philosophy
>that currently precludes their inclusion into the class.

Howard is offering insight into the SEB's current
thinking on this subject.  Insight is good.  If used
correctly, you might even be able to counter their
present concerns when making your case with them.

>Getting down to specific numbers, this year at Topeka
>the top 968 in STOCK trim would have won SM by three-tenths
>of a second. Imagine the winning margin if the car had been
>prepared to the SM rules!

Howard has provided cold, hard facts that will certainly
be considered by the SEB when trying to ascertain the
performance potential of Porsches in SM trim.

>The long term hope on my part is that there will be enough
>interest from the sports car folks in the SM concept to
>justify the creation of a SM Sports class for two seaters.
>If you know of folks interested in this idea, have them write.

Howard is willing to ask the SEB to make a place
for the excluded cars to play in SM trim, provided
that the demand is there.  He's also asking you to
help him create the demand.

It seems cut and dry to me.  There's nothing wrong with
this picture, except that Paul Foster put the slides
in the projector upside-down.  Personal attacks on
Mr. Duncan and his credibility are not called for.
As a matter of fact, you should *appreciate* the
insight that he provided.....

-Arthur ("Fed up with conditional literacy" edition.)