RE: What's wrong with this pitcure?!?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: What's wrong with this pitcure?!?
From: "Larry Joffe" <spdrcr5@bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 12:54:54 -0500
Hold on everyone just one second.  From what Dennis Grant has been saying on
the SM list Howard Duncan IS the one that decided that all of the Porsche
2+2's are not eligible for the SM class.  This motion NEVER went before the
SEB.  Quite a few SM participants want the 924/944/968 series to be allowed
into SM.

This is Dennis' rationale for all of this, though I am certain that Dennis
will correct any mistakes I may be stating here  :)

Dennis has been talking to Howard about the SM class for over a year.  It
was Howard that offered the "Not Sports Car based" into the rules.  Dennis
is trying to get that part taken out for 2001 but it looks like it won't
happen until 2002.  Dennis has said all along that Howard has NOT wanted any
Porsche in the class because it is a sports car.  Ok, when I first read of
SM I accepted that.  Then I see at Pros and at the Nationals that a Supra TT
wins!  That to me is a sports car I think.  I get onto the SM list and ask
that question and am told that it is an allowed car.  They are creating an
exclusion list for cars.  Basically going down through every car in the Solo
II Rule book and putting a line through what they feel should not belong in
the class.  Dennis also defends Howard by saying that he is the one person
in the SCCA pushing this class and he is the one that was able to get this
class created/formed.  I understand that, but he is just one guy and the
class is formed.  Why not now treat it like every other class and allow the
membership to determine whether or not a car should or should not be in a
class?

The AS Porsche 968 driven by Paul Kozlak finished with a 107.671 and Kent
finished in SM with a 108.066 a difference of 0.395 seconds.  As Kent
pointed out he drove in the morning and AS drove in the middle of the day.

I understand the CRX, Miata cars not being in, they are much lighter and are
pure 2 seaters.  the heavier cars would get slaughtered for the most part.
But everyone here is right, why should the Supra TT be allowed, yet the SAME
car from Nissan is NOT allowed?  I am talking about the 300ZX TT.  The two
Japanese cars were created to fight the Porsche cars in the same market
segment!  This is one of the things that has never made sense to me an I am
sure it never will.

Kent, I am not saying the Supra should NOT be in the class, I am just saying
if it is in the class so should other cars with similar performance
potential!  :)

In hope that cleared up some of the confusion as to what part Howard Duncan
played in the classing of the cars.

Larry Joffe
SM #27/127
2000 Audi TT Quattro