Re: SM2 status?

To: Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SM2 status?
From: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 13:23:50 -0600
> Well SM2 is a "if you build it they will come" sort of class.

This is where I dis-agree.  I recall the initial source of SM being the cars
already in existence that didn't have a fair place to play.  I agree with
what your saying about giving people time to build, and that was exactly my
point.  Create a "Pink Supercharged V8 Subaru Justy" class, leave it up for
awhile, promise stability for a few years, and you will eventually fill the
class.  I was sold on the need for class proliferation because I was lead to
believe that the cars where out there now.

I don't have anything against SM2 specifically, I run another class. I do
think I have been lead down the path however, when I was sold on the need to
expand yet there is little participation.  No biggy...things will work
themselves out.

No one is
> going to build a car if there is no class but since it also takes quite
> a while to build a competitive car, there will be few entries for the
> first year. IMHO what SCCA needs to do is guaranty that SM2 will be
> around until 2004 and then you'll start seeing some vehicles. Who wants
> to build a car for a class that might not be around next year?
>
> - Alan Dahl

Patrick Washburn
C-Tech Trailer Cabinets
Designed for the Racer