Re: SCCA Membership - 18% increase

To: "Andrew Schmiechen" <aschmiechen@discovercolor.com>,
Subject: Re: SCCA Membership - 18% increase
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 18:23:02 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Schmiechen" <aschmiechen@discovercolor.com>
To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 11:26 AM

> I'll say it again here, the majority of Soloists, and SCCA members, who
> choose to just compete on the local level, receive no benefit by being
part
> of the SCCA.

If ALL you ever want to do is be a freeloader who goes to a local autocross,
drives the event, and goes home, then yes. You do not receive the benefits
SCCA membership would give you and it is not worth it to join.

If ever you might want to do more -- run for a championship (provided by
your Region), aspire to higher levels of competition (divisional
championships, Pro Solo, Tours, National), try road racing (as worker or
driver), receive that fine SportsCar magazine, hold an office and thus
influence the sport, compete in the knowledge you have $5 million in
catastrophic insurance coverage protecting you, or be involved in motorsport
on any level other than show up/drive/go home -- then SCCA membership might
have some value to you.

There ARE benefits to membership. Even just being "one of us" and doing a
share to support the program is a benefit. The question, then, is whether
you want to avail yourself of those benefits.

And BTW, I do not think of it as an 18% increase.  That is just a scare
number which is really meaningless without context. It is a $10 increase,
and it would be the same $10 increase whether rising from $20 to $30 or $65
to $75. An increase that is not even the entry fee to one local autocross is
hardly enough it should drive anyone out of the club (those for whom it does
were not really happy in the game anyway, IMHO, and thus it is a handy
excuse).

--Rocky Entriken