Re: SCCA Membership - 18% increase

To: Bob Pariza <bpariza@yahoo.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SCCA Membership - 18% increase
From: "Phil Ethier"<pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 18:38:03 GMT
>> I'll say it again here, the majority of Soloists, and SCCA members, who
>> choose to just compete on the local level, receive no benefit by being
>> part
>> of the SCCA.

>A simple case of priorities, you will spend on what is important to you.

The three biggest priorities faced by autocross clubs in the Twin Cities are:

1.  Sites
2.  Sites
3.  Sites

If the national clout of SCCA could or would help with the securing of more
and larger sites in the Twin City area, it would be worth it to support SCCA.
 I will go so far as to say that if LOL got the exclusive use of a really good
site in, or close to, town, that they could get away with breaking from Met
Council entirely and requiring Solo2 entrants to be SCCA members (the SFR
model).
 If that happened, I'd join again.

There is an SCCA Region (Land 'O Lakes) here which has a Solo2 program.  As
far as I know, LOL has not pioneered a viable site in the Twin Cities area for
thirty years.  I'm open to education on this subject.

LOL does not run very many events in the Twin Cities, the major population
center
of the region.   I don't know if they have not tried to secure sites or if they
have and the national clout of SCCA is not worth any more than what we local
clubs have.

I am not anti-SCCA.  It's just that in my location, SCCA has not been offering
any incentive to an autocrosser to join.  In this town, Solo2 is something that
is done "elsewhere".

Phil Ethier
Saint Paul, Minnesota