Re: How to get novices to "stick".

To: <GRMPer@aol.com>
Subject: Re: How to get novices to "stick".
From: "Daniel Reeland" <Daniel.Reeland@BoiseOffice.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 10:09:54 -0500
I'm just a novice myself(started in March @ a wonderful SoloII school in the
Chicago Region!) so I can't really answer your questions, as they're geared
more towards the guys who organize and manage the regions.  But I do have a
related question...
      Why do some regions choose to not have a novice class, and trophy that
as a separate group of classes.  I'm in G-stock with my Si, and if I would
have shown up for my first event and got creamed by the fully prepared Neons
and Celicas, I would have been pretty discouraged.  The region that I run in
has the novice class and it has been a great breeding ground for the
competitive camradarie that has kept us newbies coming every event.  Are
separate novice classes an orginazational nightmare for the bigger
regions(ours is pretty small, 60 cars is a good day) or is this decision based
on something else?
                      Thanks for helping a newb get a feel for the
administrative side of things,
                                                  Dan
>>> GRMPer@aol.com 10/02/02 09:46AM >>>
Team.net,

As a follow up to an earlier threads about events being "open" to everyone,
Despite a pretty good novice program in the Southeast, I've been noticing
that there is a pretty good percentage of novices (first time autocrossers)
that show up to our open events, don't get a good first impression of a local
event, and then never show up again.

How do your regions attempt to capture the first timers? Do you have novice
instructors? novice chairpersons? Is any effort made to get these people on
regional mailing lists?

Like the SCCA, Grassroots Motorsports magazine would also like to capture
these novices that are showing up to their first event(s). If we could hand
our magazine to any novice that shows up at an event, we would. We'd could
probably even get companies to donate products (loaner helmets, etc) to the
regions that help us with something like this.

By showing the novice the SCCA world beyond the local region, GRM could
substantially improve novice retention.

Let me know what you think!

Per
http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com