Re: How to get novices to "stick".

To: "Daniel Reeland" <Daniel.Reeland@BoiseOffice.com>, <GRMPer@aol.com>
Subject: Re: How to get novices to "stick".
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 08:37:56 -0700
At 08:09 AM 10/2/2002, Daniel Reeland wrote:

>       Why do some regions choose to not have a novice class, and trophy that
>as a separate group of classes.  I'm in G-stock with my Si, and if I would
>have shown up for my first event and got creamed by the fully prepared Neons
>and Celicas, I would have been pretty discouraged.

Here in San Diego, we do run a separate novice run group with instructors.
They run against each other. This has not shown to increase the retention
percentages as I understand them. Many people do this once or twice.

Some considerations:

1. A novice that would be discouraged because they got creamed at their
first event would probably still get creamed in a novice class (we have
50-70 novices in that class). For me, when I was new, I was not discouraged
at all. I had too much fun having a blast and new the class leaders were
faster because they were better. We need to try to get novices to focus on
skills and enjoyment and not on "winning." Because they won't.   I am all
for dumping trophies in the novice class. :)   Having also been involved
with this and done it both ways, I would rather have the novices suck it up
and run in class. Just my opinion.

2. A good percentage of people don't stick to this. When it comes down to
it, it's still not everyone's cup of tea. The only question is how much you
change the brew to suit every individual. Some people come out and try it
to see what it's all about. Next week they will try bungee jumping or
whatever. For some, the idea of standing around a parking lot to get a few
minutes max of seat time is just not enough. Specially since they are not
going to be there for the social aspects since they are new.  As someone in
our region noted, many people treat this like going to a go-kart track
(Malibu Gran Prix).... not to get better at the sport, just to come out and
have some fun and then move on.

3. If your car is not prepared, it can still not be prepared against other
novice cars. I see new guys show up with some pretty tricked out cars. Your
car may also be unfortunately classed or indexed. It's all part of racing.

Just my opinion, but I would not have been less discouraged to get a 75
second time in a novice class and finish mid pack, than to put down the
same 75 second time in a real class and finish last. I would have set my
goals as trying to beat 74 seconds, or to move up one notch in class.

Your mileage may vary and probably will.

Randy Chase
(no more MR2) *tear*
2000 Renspeed Shifter Kart  (can you say video 2" off the ground?)
http://www.conecam.com/