Re: How to get novices to "stick".

To: Bob Monday <boysrus_racing@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: How to get novices to "stick".
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 09:41:04 -0700
At 09:31 AM 10/2/2002, Bob Monday wrote:
>I don't know that someone has to get a trophy, but they can't leave
>feeling stupid for being there. If you are 20 seconds behind everyone
>else in WHATEVER class, that's pretty much going to be the case.
>Remember, most newbies are guys... and there's a social thing going on
>even within their own crowd.

I very much agree. We identify novice drivers here with a special class
designation letter...a big yellow N on their car. I think that is a great
idea, as is a notation in the results. I think it is a little comforting
when a novice starts to demonstrate to the everyone that they are a novice.
And then as a novice instructor, I point out that being 20 seconds back
from the class leader is pretty_damn_good.

It won't "fix" everyone's ego. Some guys show up expecting to kick butt.
But it does help and I think it's a good idea.

Randy Chase
http://www.conecam.com/