Re: How to get novices to "stick".

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How to get novices to "stick".
From: "JUSTIN MOORE" <91red180sx@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 14:58:27 -0400
As a novice STS'r, 4 events run now, I would like to add a few observations.

1) I knew a little about classes coming in and where I would fit, so I was a
little more in my element than someone who just saw a flyer and came out to
try it out. I would think to the casual observer, the "Stock" class would be
a good place to learn the ropes and start to get competitive, then you could
modify for SP or something and move up the ranks. Then you show up and
realize you HAVE to have race tires to be comeptitive in a "Stock" class.
BIG turnoff.

2) You get very little, for a lot of money, effort, and time. If you don't
truly LOVE to drive your car, you're not gonna hang out for a token gift for
a good day finish, and a jacket for the whole year. $70/yr membership +
$20/event (we have 8 events) = $230 + gas + maintenance + upgrades. It's not
cheap. We know that, the first timer doesn't.

3) Building on 1 and 2. There is no class where you can bring your stock
street car and be competitive. I would like to see a true stock class where
race tires are not allowed. I think you'd have a much larger retention rate
due to a much reduced cost/maintenance factor.

4) I Love my car. I Love to drive. I had huge amounts of fun at the events
I've been to and plan on running my first full season next year. Why?
Because I was already planning on upgrading my car the same way STS pointed
me so I fit really well into a specific class. And it's worth $20 to me to
be able to drive my car balls out on these courses. The decision is not as
easy when you are in the grey area between classes.

5) Having been on the organizing end of other sports events, I understand
that my $20 goes to a lot more than just prizes. But some people, a lot of
people in fact, expect money in = money out. And when they see that is not
the case, they don't come back.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Sorry it's so long, but it's something I've
thought about for Autocrossing as well as other sports.

Justin
STS 240SX