Re: How to get novices to "stick".

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How to get novices to "stick".
From: "Alan Pozner" <apozner@ptd.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 13:26:23 -0400
Our region does not have a novice class. When I started I came in last or
nearly last for a long time. It did not in any way diminsh my enthusiasm.

I see no reason for a novice class that does not provide benefits other than
trophies. If you feel novices are leaving because they don't get trophies
then do a novice class for scoring only. In other words novices run in open
class and they also compete for trophies in a parallel PAXed novice class.

The only benefit I see to a novice class is if the novices receive
instruction. Our region's supplementals allow for this in open class.

I do not believe that a novice class helps with retention. You get novices
to stick by showing them the ropes, teaching them to drive, walking the
course with them, and including them in after event social functions.

Regards,
Alan