Re: How to get novices to "stick".

To: <randyc2@cox.net>
Subject: Re: How to get novices to "stick".
From: <Daniel.Reeland@BoiseOffice.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 11:13:00 -0500
A couple responses and clarifiactions...

>>> Randy Chase 10/02/02 10:37AM >>>
1. A novice that would be discouraged because they got creamed at their
first event would probably still get creamed in a novice class (we have
50-70 novices in that class). For me, when I was new, I was not
discouraged
at all. I had too much fun having a blast and new the class leaders were

faster because they were better. We need to try to get novices to focus
on
skills and enjoyment and not on "winning." Because they won't. I am all
for dumping trophies in the novice class. :)

*-That's fine. I'm not saying that the focus should be on winning, but
overall
fun. I don't think that anyone who wouldn't have stuck around in the
first
place is going to because of a novice class.  My feeling was that this
creates
more of an exciting, competitive environment for the newbs.  Sure, we
all
strive to cut that second off our time, but it's a lot more fun to chase
person who can interact with you in a playful manner.  We don't need to
win
every time, but at least being competitive(even fighting out with
someone for
second to last) increases the fun factor, in my opinion.  And I hope you
didn't think that the choice of wording that included "trophy" meant I
want to
take home something tangible.  This was just a way to illustrate a
seperation.

3. If your car is not prepared, it can still not be prepared against
other
novice cars. I see new guys show up with some pretty tricked out cars.
Your
car may also be unfortunately classed or indexed. It's all part of
racing.

*-That wasn't really the point of that statement.  I'm not bitching
about
classing or modifications or whatever.  It was just another way to point
out
another way a first timer might feel intimidated or discouraged.

Just my opinion, but I would not have been less discouraged to get a 75
second time in a novice class and finish mid pack, than to put down the
same 75 second time in a real class and finish last. I would have set my

goals as trying to beat 74 seconds, or to move up one notch in class.

*-Ok, that's you.  But how many people wouldn't enjoy the experience
more if
it was the other way around?  I don't really know, but I'd be interested
find out.  Also, the majority of this was written from a somewhat
Devil's
Advocate position, so please don't think I'm flaming anyone for thinking
one
way or the other.

                                     Dan