Re: AP Nationals Turnout

To: awhollis@swbell.net, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: AP Nationals Turnout
From: LOTUSRCN@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 14:53:58 EDT
       Ok.. here is my take on this whole AP mess. Being Lotus Elan driver in
AP  when FP and AP were combined in 1999 , then in 2000 after the rule
changes that split the class up. Here are a couple of points that some of you
may have missed. The FP folks wanted there own class and wrote to SEB and
persuaded them the split the AP. When they did that, it left only a few cars
in the class i.e., Lotus, Elva's (bet you haven't seen one of them lately)
TVR's (the last one ran in 1999). So in their great wisdom, the SEB decided
to open the class up to basically GT 1 type cars. When I felt that the Miata
should have been classed as an AP car then. They (SEB) after a letter writing
campaign in 2000 got them to drop the weight penalty for F.I. but they would
not drop the weight back to 1400 lb. (weight prior to combining AP & FP in
1996.
       I would rather go against a Miata, than a Tube fame Tiger or a BP
Corvette on a serious diet. I think that the Tiger should be in EM and the
Corvette should go back to BP where it is listed.  Maybe the SEB should move
some of the cars out of FP back into AP, for example the BMW  3 series ( ya
like that going to happen)  Chris Cox's FP M3  would have won AP by .819.

       I would welcome the Miata to AP , let them drop the weight 1650 / 1750
for the 1.6 / 1.8 motors. But also let the Lotus go back to 1400 lb.

Robbie Robinson