Re: AP Nationals Turnout

To: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: AP Nationals Turnout
From: "Steve Hudson" <smhudson@austin.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 07:25:15 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
To: "Steve Hudson" <smhudson@austin.rr.com>; <autox@autox.team.net>

> First of all Steve, I am sorry you are caught in this crack. It is not
your
> fault. You are doing what you are supposed to be able to do.

Thanks.

> Frankly, I think the whole thing is a total cock-up. There was a "better"
> proposal earlier to move the Miata to EP, and apparently the howls of pain
> from the EP competitors thwarted that. Now they are proposing moving it to
> AP. I think the AP rules are totally goofy, which is not your fault
either.

My understanding is that all three proposals (stay in DP, move to AP or EP)
will be published in Fastrack for member comment.  And yes the AP rules are
goofy.

> IMHO, it belongs in FP with the Z-cars and RX7s. Somehow that idea,
although
> I know it has been discussed, has never made it to being a concrete
> proposal. The SEB COULD class it in FP *and* AP (see Corvette) -- FP under
> current Prep rules, AP under the goofy rules.
>
> I cannot help but notice, however, that you and I are in almost the same
> exact fix, and so the question becomes -- to use us as an example -- do we
> render Steve's investment and effort worthless or do we render Rocky's
> investment and effort worthless? It will happen to one of us, which should
> it be --  the driver who is just now building a car for the class or a
> driver who has been in the class since Day One; the car which is a new
> addition or the car which has been the bedrock of the class? Which of us
> gets screwed by all this?
>
> How exact is our fix? You beat me by a tenth of a second at Nationals,
> Steve, with a car you say is a not-completely-sorted work in progress. On
> the other hand I have a pretty well sorted car with new and very recent
(and
> for my budget quite large) investment in engines that have raised me from
> tail-ender to mid-packer and even threatening for trophies (9th the past
two
> years, 14th this year with five Miatas ahead of me, most of them not fully
> prepared). Candidly, I was dissatisfied with my drives this year.

I wasn't happy with my driving either<g>.  Isn't your car also a road race
car?  If prepped to be strictly a Solo car, couldn't it be faster?

> What's a fair solution to us both? My cost is just as important as Steve's
> cost. My investment is just as important as Steve's investment. The
> difference. His money is money he had to spend anyway to build his car. My
> money is money I do NOT have to spend anyway, except for trying to keep up
> with the new kids. Fair is to give us both a reasonably competitive class.
> The current proposal is not it. Neither is doing nothing.

It seems the SEB is juggling several issues; how long to protect exsisting
classes from new cars, how to revive a dying AP, and how to increase
particiption in Preprared.

> You might understand that I am trying to avoid being the screwee for a
> fourth year, so I support the current proposal as it is the only one on
the
> table. I would much more enthusiastically support moving the Miata to FP
or
> even EP.
>
> --Rocky Entriken

I don't want to see anyone screwed.  I just want some rules stability and a
competitive class where I can play with my car.  The hurried, and IMHO not
well thought out, move to AP is neither.  When Fastrack comes out, I'll be
writing a letter.
Steve Hudson