Re: AP Nationals Turnout

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: AP Nationals Turnout
From: "George and Jan Ryan" <gryan3@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 05:24:57 -0500
Unfortunately, Steve, you may be right. It is truly a "Welcome to Prepared"
that you are experiencing.

My Fiero was moved back and forth from originally E-Mod, to F-
Prepared, to A-Prepared, back to F-Prepared, and then most recently back to
A-Prepared. All in 7 seasons!!!

All these changes occurred from 1994 (when it had to be in E-Mod, before the
"GT rules" ) to 2000 when I sold the car after having done a complete, major,
extensive and costly rebuild in order to get it at least in the ballpark with
those same Lotii, Sunbeams, etc. that you mentioned. Over $15,000 was spent
after the end of the 1999 season, including having a new competition motor
built to IMSA specs, a competition transaxle with limited slip, an entirely
new coil over double a-arm front suspension and a link type rear suspension -
- sound familiar?

I called it "Chasing the Spotlight" in an article I wrote in North American
Pylon a couple years ago. Trying to keep up with both Prepared
classifications and the FastTrack "clarifications" made me feel like a circus
clown.. One almost catches that pesky light, and then they move it.

How did I handle it? After 7 years of playing the SCCA classing game, I didn't
handle it too well, I'm afraid. I sold the car, quit as a member of the Board
of Directors here in the NeOkla Region, quit as a Solo Safety Steward, and
became involved with another sanctioning body that is a little more "relaxed"
in it's rulemaking (and also a lot more consistant with it's rules).

I still occasionally run in an SCCA Solo at the regional level with my daily
driver V8 Fiero (in the new SM2 class). But I have vowed never to run in a
National level event again, and never get more involved than to show up, make
my runs, work a corner, and go home.

The car?  It was at Nationals again this year with it's new owner. He has got
it running a lot better (and faster) than I could ever have gotten it.  But
the Fiero was still getting beaten by Corvettes and Sunbeams that weigh almost
the same as it must weigh now -  because of the "weight penalties" they threw
at that little 4 cylinder when they moved it from FP to AP??? That GT2 car
must now weigh the same as a GT1 Fiero with a 300 horsepower 4.3L V6 in AP,
BTW.

What really surprises me in your case is that the SCCA is thinking of
relegating a car still in production (the Miata) to the same level of
step-child thinking as they have with the 19 year old Fiero that went out of
production in 1988!