Re: minimum weight requirement

To: Charles Cox <charles@coastalbay.com>
Subject: Re: minimum weight requirement
From: John Lieberman <jlieberman@sport.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 23:00:23 -0500
Charles Cox wrote:

> Cars should be weighed "as raced with driver" like most any other form of 4
> wheel motorsport...then problem solved. (not to mention a properly leveled
> playing field).

If you're going to do that, then I would suggest that you also change
the rules for Stock and Street Prepared (as well as Street Touring,
Street Modified, and ALL Modified classes) and require THEM to weigh
with driver as well!  Weight makes a difference in ANY class.  As I see
it, the weight rules are just fine the way they're written now (the
RULES - not necessarily the WEIGHTS!)

If you start weighing WITH driver, you're going to force two-driver (and
three- and four-driver) cars to adjust to a different ballast every time
a different driver gets behind the wheel.  That will further delay the
transition for two-driver cars in grid.  Plus, you're going to have to
weigh with the appropriate ballast in the car for each driver.  That
will further delay the process in impound - especially if you weight
EVERY car with EVERY driver.  And WHO's going to police whether the
appropriate ballast is used for each driver in competition or
impound?!?!?!?

This is grassroots motorsports, for Christ's sake!  There's no big prize
money involved here.  Why can't we all just play within the rules and go
out and try to beat the pants off the next guy instead of trying to
write "I" class rules?!?!?  8<{)

Autocrossing used to be a whole lot more fun and a whole lot less
complicated than it is now.  Don't try to make it any more complicated.

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman