Re: minimum weight requirement

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: minimum weight requirement
From: "Brian Davis" <brian.davis@rose-hulman.edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 21:46:31 -0500
Jay Mitchell wrote:
> >The minimum weight I could get it to under SP rules was around
> 2300.
>
> Did you take full advantage of every SP allowance that can
> legally reduce weight? Examples: exhaust system, clutch/flywheel,
> alternator, wheels/tires, dirver/passenger seat (kart seats are
> really light, OEMs are pretty heavy), update/backdate,
> alternator, starter, battery, pulleys, etc.? If not, then there's
> more you can get out of your car.

Point taken.  The minimum weight I could get to on my budget ;o)  And I'm
honestly not sure there's more than about 25 lbs or so on any budget.  One
problem with the del Sol for weight reduction in SP is that all models had
power windows on all 3 windows...

Steve Hoelscher wrote:
> The competitiveness of the del Sol has yet to be established in DSP.

This is very true.  Haven't seen too many people running them at all :o)
Other than the kick-ass one in DM at nationals.

> The primary limitations of the IT rules are; wheel width, induction and
> ignition, ride height.  While you can fit a 225/45-13 tire on a 7" wheel
it
> is hardly the optimum fitment as is the 8-9" width used on SP cars.  While
> induction and ride height my result in only slight penalty in performance,
> when all three of these limits are added up they result in an
insurmountable
> hurdle to clear.

I'll concede that you guys are right.  I don't think it's a huge difference
in my case, but enough to matter at Nats.  Then again, it's not as if the
del Sol would be competitive at nats anyway ;o)

> Most CSP Hondas are geared quite nicely
> for nationals courses and I would expect that the del Sol would be
likewise.
> A shorter final drive would result in having to use 3rd gear too much and
> actually result in slower times.

Hmmm...this could be true.  I don't feel that I max out much at regional
events, but nationals (and even divisional) courses tend to be a little more
open.

> I wouldn't worry too much about running an IT del Sol in DSP unless you
are
> trying to win a National Championship.  If the car is well prepared and
well
> setup then it would be competitive at most any regional or divisional
event.

Yeah, if my focus was trying to win a National Championship, I would
probably not be driving the del Sol anyway :o)

Brian Davis
21 DSP