Fw: minimum weight requirement

To: <rocky@tri.net>
Subject: Fw: minimum weight requirement
From: "Charles Cox" <charles@coastalbay.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 07:53:21 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
To: "Dave Hardy" <dave2020@mindspring.com>; "John Lieberman"
<jlieberman@sport.rr.com>; "Dave Whitworth" <dave@wcsllc.net>
Cc: "'Aaron Johnson'" <fpspitfire37@msn.com>; <autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Saturday, October 19, 2002 12:14 PM
Subject: Re: minimum weight requirement

very closely prepped and driven, the weight difference of the driver can make
a difference.  Do us big guys need to start recruiting horse jockeys to drive
our cars?

> Few remember that once upon a time -- for one year only (1982) -- we DID
weigh with driver.

> This came in shortly after road racing went to weighing with driver.
>
> We discovered a key difference. Road racing typically has one driver per car
per event. We often have two, sometimes more. Frequently the co-drivers are
him/her -- big and little.

>>>Rocky, I would argue that although it is a difference, it shouldn't have
ever been a difference that justifies weighing the car without driver.  There
are many other forms of motorsport that have more than one driver and they do
fine.  We shouldn't write the rules to cater to the minority and particularly
in light of the ability of the competitor to deal with the difference, which
can be done by weighing the car with driver but can't be solved weighing the
car without driver.<<<

> Best example of the problem I remember was a DP husband/wife. When she
drove, they had to put 100 pounds of ballast in the car. They did it by having
her sit on a 50-pound bag of kitty litter and putting another behind her,
replacing the "midget shim" they'd previously used for her.  And then, just to
compound things, that car rolled at the '82 Nationals. Fortunately
> with him in it (and no injury), but the "what-if" arose had she'd been in it
with that 100 pounds of kitty litter part of the equation -- next year the
with-driver rule was gone.

>>>Where were the scrutineers or tech people when this was done? This
certainly couldn't be the reason for the change, is it?  Again this kind of
problem is easily solved if the events and rule book are written properly.<<<

>>>Charles Cox (I am opposed to weighing without driver, but doesn't affect my
class either way)<<<