Re: Protesting parts at local events

Subject: Re: Protesting parts at local events
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 15:51:15 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Mon, 2 May 2005, Larry Steckel wrote:
> If I could find the driver I would definitely talk to them. But in some
> cases, I either didn't know the driver or he wasn't anywhere near his
> car and I wasn't about to run all over the site looking for him. It is
> his responsibility after all to present his car configured in a legal
> fashion. And then it's my right to protest him.  If I'm in a stock
> class, and my competitor shows up and from what I can see, his car is
> half way to being Street Touring, why should I ignore that?

You shouldn't.

But you should make an effort to talk to them and see what the deal is
prior to involving event officials.  Doesn't matter if you don't know them
or whatever.  You may well find that they don't have any idea how classing
works and took someone else's recommendation, that they want to run with
their buddy but are happy to dq themselves at the end of the event, or
whatever.  Being "correct" isn't enough IMHO... You also need to be
friendly, nice, etc.  There are plenty of folks out there that are
"correct" but are still dickheads to deal with.

All this is even more true at a local event with someone new to
autocross...

Btw, if this happens at SCR, you're going to be involved with them before
the situation gets resolved anyway.

Mark