Re: Protesting parts at local events

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Protesting parts at local events
From: bcblues@bis.midco.net
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 22:09:10 -0500
We (the tech inspectors) have a summary table of cars and classes, and common
mods and classes, on each clipboard.  Typically, first timers have no clue
about classes at all, and they ask.  We try to help as much as possible.  We
also have a couple copies of the rule book available on the registration
table, for general reference.  After people run a couple times (even once),
they know what class they are in, and if they change something, they will ask
others in their previous class, or ask one of us.  We always try to help.  Of
course, we are not dealing with 200+ cars in our small Region, so perhaps we
can "afford to be" a bit more helpful.

We really do encourage everybody to run in their "correct" class.  With the
common mods to the common import (and domestic) cars, that means that SM is
typically a well represented class.  Boost controllers and gutted interiors
are probably the most common reasons for SM around here, and few of these
street cars run on R compound tires.  That means that SM is actually pretty
competitive, and everybody seems to be enjoying themselves.  Of course, I
don't run SM, so I don't know it "from the inside".

"You mean a $20 manual boost controller puts me in SM?"
"Yep, along with all those cars over there."
"OK cool."

Bob Christensen
Badlands Region
#4 ESP