Re: Protesting parts at local events

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Protesting parts at local events
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 16:53:20 -0500
As you said, mostly it is newbies, who by the very fact of being a newbie
are usually no threat.

So when I encounter that first I make up my own mind if it is a big
departure from the rules or something minor. As my region's solo chair, I
may let them run it anyway, but tell them that it is illegal and at the
Divisional/National level he would not be allowed to run it. It gives them
fun for the day (take the hassle out) and time to fix it (or decide to do
more and go to a different category).

But always I talk to the driver first. Usually they are 1) clueless and 2)
happy to comply if/when possible. Remember, being clueless also means not
knowing what class they should run and so we help them in that respect also.

Remember, on the regional level you can decide NOT to follow much of the
rulebook including the car prep rules.

My favorite example was the fellow who showed in the Ferrari-body kit car
with a bone-stock Chevy engine, and high-treadwear street tires. Technically
he was E Mod. Locally we ran him A Stock as if he was a Corvette with a
funny body (but when he tried a Divisional, he entered himself in EM).

Be understanding, be flexible as much as possible, be informative, helpful
and friendly. Save the protest for the repeat offender (or the major event).

--Rocky Entriken