Re: Settings for Koni shocks on Elan

To: chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net, Tor Hval <torhv@ifi.uio.no>
Subject: Re: Settings for Koni shocks on Elan
From: rebean@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Date: Thu, 21 May 98 11:26:46 PST

Tor Hval <torhv@ifi.uio.no> wrote on
Date:    5/21/98 10:26 AM:

>Hi again!
>What is the recomended setting on the front shock absorbers which Koni has
>made for the Elan. We have set them on 1,5 turns(?), but we still think it
>is a bit to stiff(the car darts around on uneven roads) When we bought
>the car the shocks was tighend as hard as it was possible, and the springs
>were lowered and uprated(we swapped them back to standard last week).

I would recommend adjusting any adjustable shock to full soft and adjusting
up as the shock wears.  The reason for this is that shock absorbers
(dampers) are designed as "dampers", not springs.  Set the stiffness with
the spring choice, then make sure the dampers merely damp.

I would suspect that the darting around on rough roads could be a bump steer
problem.  Elans are very sensitive to bump steer errors.  Do you know how to
adjust bump steer?

Rod