Re: Settings for Koni shocks on Elan

To: rebean@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Subject: Re: Settings for Koni shocks on Elan
From: Tor Hval <torhv@ifi.uio.no>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 21:00:02 +0200 (MET DST)
> I would recommend adjusting any adjustable shock to full soft and adjusting
> up as the shock wears.  The reason for this is that shock absorbers
> (dampers) are designed as "dampers", not springs.  Set the stiffness with
> the spring choice, then make sure the dampers merely damp.
>
> I would suspect that the darting around on rough roads could be a bump steer
> problem.  Elans are very sensitive to bump steer errors.  Do you know how to
> adjust bump steer?

Well, I do not even know what bump steer is so please explain.(Perhaps my
father knows, he is "chief mechanic"(but he is not around,I do not live at
home anymore since I am studying)). But I still think that the dampers has
a bit  to do with the darting around, as my father reports that it
improved(but not enough) after he  changed the springs and slackend the
shockabsorbers.

Tor Hval <torhv@ifi.uio.no>