Re: Settings for Koni shocks on Elan

To: Ray Jang <jangr@email.uc.edu>
Subject: Re: Settings for Koni shocks on Elan
From: Tor Hval <torhv@ifi.uio.no>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 14:26:31 +0200 (MET DST)
> >Yes maybe. Our car is(was?) fine on a flat surface(it is cool to go
> >"sideways"(no bodyroll) in corners), but dangerous on a uneven road( I
> >almost ended up in the ditch once, scary).
> >
> Sounds like you have gotten up some car speed (to go sideways).
Don't misunderstand me, on flat surface the car feels like it is going
sideways because of zero bodyroll (It is not the tires who is loosing the
grips)
>  Yes,
> please stay out of those ditches.
The reason that I almost ended up in the ditch, was that the car darted
around because of a bump in the road.

> >Hmm, well we do not have stock tires/wheels, at the moment we have some
> >old 175/70(which we are going to change soon) all around, with 6 inch
> >revolution wheels at the front and 7 inch at the rear. We are thinking of
> >using 175/70 tires at front and 185/70 at the rear, since we need to fill
> >the wings(which is 26R style).(PO had 205/60 tires at the rear and 185/60
> >at front). Could our current configuration produce bump steer?
> >
> Wow!  Sorry I can't comment on your configuraiton, I don't have experience
> with 6s and 7s and different width tires on the front and rear.  I would
> love to have your 26R flares.
They look cool, the roll over bar and the 26R flares makes the car a bit
more agressive looking.(I will see if i can scan an photo and put out on
the web sometime.)The PO planed to race the car(thats why it has the
current setup) but he got a kid, an had not the time(money?) for it.

>  I run 185 X 60 x 13s all around on my Elan,
> its all I can get under the wheel arches.  I like the 60 profile, its a
> little crisper on turn-in, however, I know you have a big wheel well to
> fill so 70 profiles fit.

We also need the 70 profiles to gear the car up a bit(It has got a
lower diff ratio(i do not remember the ratio).

> Sounds like a neat car you have.  BTW I messed up the chapman-era address
> on my last message to you.  I think the address on this message is correct.

I found out ;)

Tor Hval <torhv@ifi.uio.no>