Re: Settings for Koni shocks on Elan

To: Tor Hval <torhv@ifi.uio.no>
Subject: Re: Settings for Koni shocks on Elan
From: Ray Jang <jangr@email.uc.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 08:03:57 -0400
At 11:10 PM 5/21/98 +0200, you wrote:
>> Tor:  Mine are Koni Red Classics, don't have the stock numbers here.  As I
>> said, I cannot yet say how this feels on the road.  I'm betting that these
>> springs, being twice the original factory will provide much less lean and
>> quicker response.  I also run an Addco 7/8" sway bar on the front.  Maybe
>> I've got too much damping dialed in based on the postings your question
drew.

>Yes maybe. Our car is(was?) fine on a flat surface(it is cool to go
>"sideways"(no bodyroll) in corners), but dangerous on a uneven road( I
>almost ended up in the ditch once, scary).

Sounds like you have gotten up some car speed (to go sideways).  Yes,
please stay out of those ditches.

>> Bump steer is when a distortion in the road surface forces the front
>> suspension alignment/wheel/tire combination to cause the vehicle to pursue
>> an erratic course (not one given by the driver through the steering wheel).
>>  Its very upsetting when it occurs as it means you do not have a stable,
>> confident sense of the car.  In an Elan it is important to have the
>> steering rack and the tie-rods aligned to eliminate bump-steer.  Wheel
>> offset and tire width can cause bump steer also.

>Hmm, well we do not have stock tires/wheels, at the moment we have some
>old 175/70(which we are going to change soon) all around, with 6 inch
>revolution wheels at the front and 7 inch at the rear. We are thinking of
>using 175/70 tires at front and 185/70 at the rear, since we need to fill
>the wings(which is 26R style).(PO had 205/60 tires at the rear and 185/60
>at front). Could our current configuration produce bump steer?

Wow!  Sorry I can't comment on your configuraiton, I don't have experience
with 6s and 7s and different width tires on the front and rear.  I would
love to have your 26R flares.  I run 185 X 60 x 13s all around on my Elan,
its all I can get under the wheel arches.  I like the 60 profile, its a
little crisper on turn-in, however, I know you have a big wheel well to
fill so 70 profiles fit.

Sounds like a neat car you have.  BTW I messed up the chapman-era address
on my last message to you.  I think the address on this message is correct.

Ray.