Re: Settings for Koni shocks on Elan

To: jangr@email.uc.edu
Subject: Re: Settings for Koni shocks on Elan
From: Tor Hval <torhv@ifi.uio.no>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 23:41:51 +0200 (MET DST)
> Tor:  Mine are Koni Red Classics, don't have the stock numbers here.  As I
> said, I cannot yet say how this feels on the road.  I'm betting that these
> springs, being twice the original factory will provide much less lean and
> quicker response.  I also run an Addco 7/8" sway bar on the front.  Maybe
> I've got too much damping dialed in based on the postings your question drew.

Yes maybe. Our car is(was?) fine on a flat surface(it is cool to go
"sideways"(no bodyroll) in corners), but dangerous on a uneven road( I
almost ended up in the ditch once, scary).

> Bump steer is when a distortion in the road surface forces the front
> suspension alignment/wheel/tire combination to cause the vehicle to pursue
> an erratic course (not one given by the driver through the steering wheel).
>  Its very upsetting when it occurs as it means you do not have a stable,
> confident sense of the car.  In an Elan it is important to have the
> steering rack and the tie-rods aligned to eliminate bump-steer.  Wheel
> offset and tire width can cause bump steer also.
Hmm, well we do not have stock tires/wheels, at the moment we have some
old 175/70(which we are going to change soon) all around, with 6 inch
revolution wheels at the front and 7 inch at the rear. We are thinking of
using 175/70 tires at front and 185/70 at the rear, since we need to fill
the wings(which is 26R style).(PO had 205/60 tires at the rear and 185/60
at front). Could our current configuration produce bump steer?

Tor Hval <torhv@ifi.uio.no>