Re[2]: Settings for Koni shocks on Elan

To: Tor Hval <torhv@ifi.uio.no>
Subject: Re[2]: Settings for Koni shocks on Elan
From: rebean@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Date: Thu, 21 May 98 13:15:27 PST

> I would recommend adjusting any adjustable shock to full soft and adjusting
> up as the shock wears.  The reason for this is that shock absorbers
> (dampers) are designed as "dampers", not springs.  Set the stiffness with
> the spring choice, then make sure the dampers merely damp.
>
> I would suspect that the darting around on rough roads could be a bump steer
> problem.  Elans are very sensitive to bump steer errors.  Do you know how to
> adjust bump steer?

Well, I do not even know what bump steer is so please explain.(Perhaps my
father knows, he is "chief mechanic"(but he is not around,I do not live at
home anymore since I am studying)). But I still think that the dampers has
a bit  to do with the darting around, as my father reports that it
improved(but not enough) after he  changed the springs and slackend the
shockabsorbers.

Tor Hval <torhv@ifi.uio.no>

First, the shocks:  When your shocks were adjusted stiff, they were indeed
acting as helper springs so when they were softened, the problem would lessen.
If the softer springs now installed keep the car taught enough, the problem
might be solved.  But generally, it's a good idea to think of the springs,
shocks and anti-sway bars as having distinct functions and then blend the
adjustments/selection of each to produce the overall result you want,
overlapping functions as little as possible.

Bump steer:

The front toe (in or out) changes as the suspension goes through its travel at a
given steering wheel angle, effectively steering the car and making it less
predictable.

It's adjusted by raising or lowering the steering rack.  It's measured by taking
toe measurements at several points along the suspension's travel.  Ideally, you
don't want the toe to change at all as the suspension works.

Rod