Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder

To: Sam Gentry <hsgentry@cfw.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder
From: Bob Sykes <s1500@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 20:53:41 -0700
The Lucas Girling clutch s/c repair kit comes with a new
metal cap.  Lucas part no. SP41911 for '77 and later cars.
I expect the kit for earlier units is similar.
I have had no problems mixing and matching early (steel)
clutch s/c units or kits with later (aluminum) ones.  YMMV

The caps are re-usable provided the person who installed it
last didn't get too over-zealous in crimping the edge.  If
you just bend it in a couple of strategic locations it will
stay put, and can be removed without devastation.  I don't
think I'd attempt to replace the rubber seal without removing
this cap.

It has been my experience that VB supplies "minimal"
hydraulic repair kits which do not include some of the parts
found in the genuine Girling kits.  Last time I attempted to
order said parts from them, I asked them who manufactured the
kits that they currently had in stock.  They told me that
they buy these kits from several companies and that there was
no way for them to know what they had on the shelf on any
given day.  I get my hydraulic parts from TRF now, but they're
probably available from others as well.

A tuppence worth perhaps......

--
Bob Sykes
"You can't beat your brains for entertainment."