RE: Weber Tuning

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>,
Subject: RE: Weber Tuning
From: Chip Mautz <clmautz@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 06:40:52 -0800 (PST)
---Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov> wrote:

> Agreed. But that's not the point I was trying to make when I said
>
> > > it has almost nothing to do with the running of the engine but
almost
> > > everything to do with where the pipes terminate at the back of
the car and
> > > the airflow in that area....

More fuel for the fire.  My '71 needs engine work bad, and blows LOTS
of stuff out the rear.  People have thought I'd blown the engine while
pulling up sometimes, but I digress...

My car has a custom dual exhaust system, straight out the rear, and
then bent upwards, with twin chrome tips, a'la an E-type Jag.  When I
drive it, the exhaust comes back up on the back of the car, bumper,
and even into the passenger compartment, lid up OR down.  It doesn't
matter.

Due to the blazing high speeds that I drive the Spit, I'm thoroughly
convinced that due to the airflow over the rear of the car, any
exhaust turned upward will deposit soot on the rear.  Top up, windows
down, it practically funnels the exhaust around each side and into the
open window, perfectly!  You couldn't plan for better delivery...

After I get the engine in order, I'm hacking off the exhaust, and
removing the manifold.  Then, a nice header, into a pipe, into my
flowmaster, and out the center.

I may even copy a design I saw this summer at our British Car Day car
show at Chateau Elan - run a huge pipe straight down the center from
the muffler, and turn it downward toward the ground.  The car's pipe I
saw terminated well UNDER the end of the car, but the downturn kept
the exhaust at ground level, and didn't dirty up the back end at bit.
Quite impressive - you couldn't even see the pipe unless you got down
and looked under.

But, until I get her fixed, she comes in handy, as a smoke screen to
hamper the police on those high-speed chases down the freeway...  ;-)

Woah - gotta wake up!  Was I dreaming again??

Chip