RE: Weber Tuning

To: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Subject: RE: Weber Tuning
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 14:34:00 -0500 ()
On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Gambony, Jim wrote:

> My main point is that putting the Monza does affect how the engine
> breathes....

Agreed. But that's not the point I was trying to make when I said

> > it has almost nothing to do with the running of the engine but almost
> > everything to do with where the pipes terminate at the back of the car and
> > the airflow in that area....

I've seen this situation too many times and on too many cars with that
sort of exhaust pipe routing to dismiss it is as "out of tune." And not
just Triumphs and other LBC's. I've seen it on "modern" cars with factory
exhausts, and I've seen it on older cars such as my '51 Chevrolet. At one
point (1970s) on that car, it had an exhaust pipe that terminated directly
under the bumper, which then "sooted" up. That car had been tuned and
emissions-tested and found to be very low in emissions. My GT6+ with a
Stebro rear muffler was even worse. It ran just fine -- not rich -- but
the design of those pipes and that of the bodywork on the 6+ seemed to
take whatever came out of the pipe and deposit it right back on the
Jasmine Yellow paint. Yecch! (The Stebro had twin pipes that swept up from
under the center of the car toward the license plate, as opposed to the
RHS exit of the stock exhaust tips.)

One further anecdote. I had a 1974 Spitfire 1500 with a Monza exhaust.
Same soot problem. Worse still, trunk lid up (carrying a lawnmower or
whatever it might have been), fumes would force their way into the
passenger compartment, especially with the top down. Very unpleasant. Once
I tired of the noise and the fact that I've seen cardboard tubes that held
up better than the Monza systems (YMMV), I went back to a stock system,
curing ALL the problems, even fumes in the cockpit. I'm not an
aerodyman..., uh, areodina..., uh, air-flow type, but that has to have a
lot to do with all of this.

--Andy